Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Kamikaze WIP

I've always been a little intrigued by the story of the Kamikaze's plight and the sense of isolation that they must have felt in so futile a cause. Apparently not all of them were in total commitment to the tactics that were asked of them either, and it is hard to imagine what they went through, some of them as young as 17 years of age. Many flew their missions because the social pressures on them were great, and they could not back down. I would like to get across a portrait of stoic resignation in the individual, the pilot alone with his thoughts before his final mission, perhaps thinking of his own loved ones and I will add a landscape in the background as well. I have started a piece in pencil and I hope to eventually complete a version in acrylics. Patience will be required with this one for me but I hope to progress on it steadily.

No comments:

Post a Comment